Monday, December 20, 2004

eulogy

Eventually my guilt for threadjacking Vlad's post outweighed my dislike of multiple newsposts, so I decided to delete my completely unrelated comment and post it below.

In other news, SuprNova.org is apparently "down for the count" according to Penny Arcade, a bit of information which is more immediately distressing although possibly less relevant in a big-picture sort of worldview -- which, incidentally, we in the United States frown upon when we are bothered to consider it.

I haven't been able to find any reports confirming Penny Arcade's analysis, but here's a copy of Retspan's (a French antipiracy organization) initial press release about the then-impending lawsuit, and what SuprNova admin Sloncek had to say about it at the time.

SuprNova.org, for those of you who didn't know, was a sort of clearinghouse for BitTorrent trackers of pirated movies, applications, and music. I hear it also had a few legitimate uses, though I have no first-hand experience with those.

Just thought I'd compress the news threads into as few posts as possible. [Edit: Obviously, didn't work out.] Go read some of Nathan's imitation Japanese poetry, the rest of you. Incidentally, some thoughts on the appropriate English translation of the Japanese form. I remember reading a much better analysis of the same subject a few weeks ago, but Google isn't giving me anything.

God, I just finished downloading two files using SuprNova trackers today. I can't help but imagine that this is what it feels like to have a conversation with a friend not suspecting in the least that just the next hour he will temporarily inhabit the same strip of pavement as an oncoming eighteen-wheeler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home